Most international applicants to the Master of Arts Program in the Humanities (MAPH) must submit a TOEFL or IELTS score in order to complete their application. Additionally, some students may choose to participate in the University of Chicago’s Academic English Pre-Matriculation Program that takes place the summer before the MAPH year.
International applicants submitting a TOEFL score must meet the following requirements:
- Total score must be 104 or higher.
- Sub-scores must be 26 or higher.
- Scores must be less than two years old.
- Scores must be sent to the University of Chicago, institutional code 1832.
International applicants submitting an IELTS score must meet the following requirements:
- Total score must by 7 or higher.
- Sub-scores must be 7 or higher.
- Score must be less than two years old.
- Scores should be sent to the following IELTS e-download account:
University of Chicago - Graduate Enrollment
970 East 58th Street, Third Floor
Chicago, IL 60637
The Division of the Humanities also offers a resource page with additional information for international students about UChicago programs and offices, housing resources, and general assistance.