Rockefeller Chapel

When does MAPH 2017-2018 start?

MAPH will hold its Opening Picnic to welcome our incoming class on Sunday, September 10 from 3 to 8 p.m. in the Classics Quadrangle. The Opening Picnic will also include a film screening. The screening will begin at 3 p.m., so it is advisable to arrive early. The required MAPH Core course will begin Monday, September 11. Orientation and registration also takes place in the two weeks before the quarter begins. Attendance during the first two weeks of the Core course and orientation is mandatory.

The fall quarter officially begins on Monday, September 25.

Where do I find the Academic Calendar?

Quarterly Academic Calendars are available via the Office of the Registrar.

How will I register for courses?

Registration for fall quarter courses will take place during the second week of the Core course. Each student is assigned an Autumn advisor—a faculty member—who offers initial suggestions and guidance about courses and faculty. Advisor assignments will be posted during the first two weeks of core and orientation in September. Throughout the year each MAPH student also works with a Preceptor, an advanced doctoral student, who gives advice on course selection and planning your year, among other things. The preceptors know graduate study in the Humanities Division from the inside, and are often the best sources of information about particular professors and classes, and can offer help with questions about career planning and doctoral study. The MAPH Director and Deputy Director, Associate Director, Program Coordinator, Writing Advisor, and Mentors are also available for consultation. All full-time students must register for MAPH 30100 (the Core course) and two electives. Course descriptions may be found on my.UChicago and on the websites of individual departments.

Where do I find more information about university billing, tuition and fees, and estimated living expenses?

Information for billing and quarterly tuition and fees is available through the Office of the Bursar.

For information on estimated living expenses, please visit the Student Loan Administration FAQs and click on "Graduate Guide."

Who do I contact about financial aid (student loans, work study, etc.)?

Contact the Student Loan Office at 773-702-6061, or by email at student-loans@uchicago.edu. The Student Loan Office is located on the third floor of the University (Barnes & Noble) Bookstore on 58th St. & Ellis Ave.  To search for both work study jobs and non work study jobs on campus please the student employment website. You will need to have claimed your UChicago ID to be able to apply for jobs.

How can I find out more about housing options for next year?

The University is unable to offer on-campus housing to graduate students. However, they do maintain a Graduate Housing Resources website. You can also check the Chicago Reader (search under zip codes 60615 and 60637 for apartments in Hyde Park) and marketplace.uchicago.edu for more housing options. Visit www.qumbya.com for information about Hyde Park cooperative living options. Most of the grocery stores, restaurants, and public transportation routes to downtown are located in northeast Hyde Park (from Woodlawn Ave. to the lake, and from 55th to 51st Streets), which may be something to consider as you begin your apartment search.

When will I receive a graduate course catalog?

The University of Chicago does not publish a Graduate Course Catalog. One reason for this is that graduate course offerings change from quarter to quarter and from year to year. Graduate programs at Chicago tailor their course offerings to current student interest, faculty research, and the interests of visiting faculty. Chicago allows graduate students to 'shop' for their courses. This means that you may visit classes in addition to those you registered for during the first week or two of the quarter in order to see syllabi, get a sense of professors, teaching styles, and the mode of discussion, etc. You then finalize your schedule by filling out an Add/Drop card. For more on registration, see this page, or talk with the Program Coordinator, Associate Director or your preceptor.

What are the course requirements for MAPH students?

All entering MAPH students complete the MAPH Core course (which begins two weeks before the beginning of the Autumn Quarter) in fall quarter, and full-time students will also take the MAPH thesis writing workshop over winter and spring quarters. For more details, see the requirements page.

In addition to these courses, MAPH students choose seven electives. MAPH students are eligible for any class open to first-year graduate students in the University, although some classes require permission of the instructor. MAPH students may not take Ph.D-only courses in Autumn Quarter, although they may in Winter and Spring with permission of the instructor and their preceptors. Many MAPH students choose to concentrate in one discipline. Some choose to take courses in several disciplines, in the Social Sciences Division, or the Law, Divinity, or Business schools because their research demands work in many areas. You can use your seven electives in MAPH to design a program of study that best suits your goals. For all the specifics of our requirements, including grades, take a look here.

Must I choose one of the MAPH Program Options?

No. Because many MAPH students come to University of Chicago to pursue interests in cinema and media studies, classics, writing, or cultural policy studies, MAPH has worked with each of those departments to design four special programs. Entering and following one of these programs simply ensures that the student will have completed work for her/his MA that is equivalent to a departmental MA in that field. The special programs are entirely optional; they are in place to guide and support students with these specific interests.

For more information about the MAPH Program Options, visit the Program Options page.

What kind of advising is available to MAPH students?

All MAPH students are assigned an Autumn academic advisor, a professor at the university, who offers suggestions and guidance about courses, professors you might want to work with, or any other concerns you might have. Advisor assignments will be posted in early September. You will meet with your advisor during the first two weeks of the Core course to discuss fall quarter courses.

Each MAPH student also works with a preceptor, an advanced doctoral student, throughout the year. Preceptors lead discussion groups in conjunction with the required Core course. These discussion groups, or precepts, contain 12-15 students and meet every Friday afternoon in the fall quarter. In winter and spring the precepts become thesis writing workshops. The preceptors know graduate study in the Humanities Division from the inside and are often the best sources for planning your year and navigating the university. Since you meet the preceptors right at the end of their own process of professional training, they have a lot of recent experience thinking about and clarifying academic directions and career goals. In addition to the preceptor, each MAPH student will work with a faculty thesis advisor on his or her thesis project.

The MAPH Director, Co-Director, Associate Director, Program Coordinator, Writing Advisor, and Mentors are also there to answer your questions. The Program Coordinator and Mentors are graduates of MAPH. Specific writing questions can also be addressed to the MAPH Writing Advisor.

Does MAPH recommend that students work while enrolled in the program?

MAPH recommends that students work no more than 10 hours per week while enrolled full-time in the program. That recommendation may vary depending on the type of job a student holds. If you're considering work-study, you'll want request this while requesting other financial aid (student loans). Applying for work-study does not require that you actually utilize the work-study package. Both work-study and non-work-study positions are advertised on the Student Employment website and via our listservs.

Are Research Assistant Positions available?

Research Assistant positions are usually work-study jobs so students must be work-study eligible before applying. At the beginning of the fall quarter, students should check for job postings in the Humanities Dean of Students Office, individual departmental offices, Student Employment, and via our listservs.

Are internships available to MAPH students?

MAPH sponsors a variety of internship opportunities for our graduates. Please see Internships, Externships and Mentorships for detailed information. We also work closely with the University's Career Advancement to help our students think about ways to bring their interests in humanistic inquiry into the world at large.

What do I need to know about registering for creative writing courses?

Creative Writing courses are cross-listed so that students are able to apply to courses (beginning or advanced) based on their level of preparation rather than on their level of degree program (undergraduate or graduate). Except where noted, admission to all courses is based on review of samples of student work. Samples should be submitted electronically through the program's website.

Submissions should include your name, ID#, program, email address, and the course for which you're applying. Fiction writing course submissions should be no longer than 10 pages; poetry submissions should be 3-5 short poems or a few longer poems.

Visit Creative Writing for more information on creative writing at the University of Chicago.

Does MAPH recommend that students apply to PhD programs while completing MAPH?

In general we recommend that students do not apply to PhD programs while completing MAPH. There are two reasons for this: (1) the application process is so time-consuming that it can negatively affect a student's performance in his/her fall quarter courses and (2) most students need more than a month of graduate course work to make them competitive for top-tier PhD programs and funding. In your first quarter of graduate school you have not yet had the time to build relationships with faculty for recommendation letters, you haven't completed any graded graduate course work at the University of Chicago, and you haven't yet written a master's thesis or seminar paper, either of which can serve as a strong application writing sample.

Naturally, some students don't take this advice and apply while in MAPH. The acceptance rate into PhD programs for these students is much lower than those who apply after completing MAPH, although some students find success doing this. If you're thinking about applying to doctoral programs while in MAPH, you might want to talk with your preceptor, the Associate Director or the Director or Co-Director. They can help you get a sense of what your chances are of being accepted for doctoral study while still in MAPH.

What should I do if I want to complete MAPH on a part-time basis?

First, you'll want to talk to the Associate Director about this. You need to get her permission to do the program part-time, and together you can plan how you'll do the program. If you and the Associate Director decide that doing MAPH part-time makes sense for you, you'll need to do a couple of things: You'll need to talk to the Associate Dean of Students for the Humanities. And you'll need to make sure that your loans can be adjusted without penalty to you. For that you'll need to talk to the Student Loan Administration.

Two things to note if you're considering the possibility of going part-time: First, you must take the MAPH Core course in the first quarter you're enrolled. The MAPH Core is only offered in Autumn quarter, and it begins two weeks prior to the quarter, during which time you will need to be on campus every day. During the quarter the Core meets at noon on Tuesdays and Thursdays and from 2:30-4:00 on Fridays. Second, University of Chicago courses are offered Monday-Friday during the day. Taking evening or night classes isn't a possibility here. If you want to do MAPH while keeping your current job, you'll need to be able to schedule work around Core and your other courses.