In June 2014, MAPH celebrated the graduation of its eighteenth class. With over 1600 alumni working in a diverse range of fields, our program boasts an impressive and constantly expanding network of professional and academic contacts. MAPH puts students in touch with alumni through events, career development opportunities, and social networking resources. A tight-knit community has grown up in the Chicago area, but as MAPH continues to grow, our alumni can be found in every corner of the world: from New York and Los Angeles to Sydney, Paris, Santiago, Hong Kong, and St. Petersburg.
You can keep up with news and announcements from MAPH in a variety of ways, many of which are listed below. We are always excited to hear news and updates from alumni. If you have been admitted to a Ph.D. program, published a novel, traveled the world, learned karate, taken cooking lessons, gone to law school, held a successful art exhibit or just want to check in, email
us and let us know!
Many alumni have checked in with MAPH recently. Take a look at some recent profiles at AfterMAPH
, the MAPH alumni blog. And of course, we enjoy visits to campus. If you are in Chicago, or are planning a visit, you are always welcome to stop by the Classics building.
Connect with fellow MAPH alumni
If you are interested in receiving information via email about jobs, apartment availability, career advancement opportunities, and events, join the “Irony” listserv. You can subscribe here
. We also highly recommend that you explore the other social networking options that MAPH offers.
- Signing up as a fan of the MAPH Facebook page is the best way to customize how you receive updates from MAPH. Our page is a clearing house for all events invitations, blog posts, alumni news, photographs, and miscellany. We’d love to have as many of our alumni join us on Facebook as possible, to make this a central gathering place for our community.
- To encourage professional development, MAPH has launched an official Linkedin page. With over 450 members, the group includes individuals working in education, law, advertising, publishing, marketing, consulting, public relations, academic administration, and other areas.
- For the constantly connected, MAPH’s indispensable mentors maintain a Twitter feed. To get continuous stream-of-consciousness from MAPHCentral, follow @THEMAPHNEST.
- Connect with the larger body of University of Chicago Alumni by joining the UChicago Alumni Directory or by joining one of the Alumni Affinity Groups.
- MAPH and Graduate Student Affairs provide a number of career and networking resources for UChicago alumni, feel free to email the program to provide updates, make connection or let us know if you would like to be a career contact for alumni or current students. The Alumni Directory is expanding Career Resources. Check the Career Resource Center for more details on how to take advantage.
- UChicago alumni are given access to five important research databases, including Project MUSE and SAGE Journals online. Check the Alumni Guide at the UChicago Library webpage for more information on how to access these resources.
There are many ways alumni can give back to current MAPH students. Volunteer your time on a panel, host an internship or externship, or serve on a reunion committee. If you would like to make donations that will go directly to MAPH you can donate here. MAPH gifts help fund internships, travel grants and special events for current students.
MAPH alums are notoriously generous with their time when it comes to giving back to the current class. This year, we have seen the participation of more than 20 alumni in career-related activities. These have included externships, internships, and panel discussions in Hyde Park. Alumni regularly return to present their work to students, and we are always interested in thinking about new ways to develop connections between students and alums.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
if you would like to be a contact for MAPH alumni or have ideas for alumni programming.
Quarterly MAPH Meet-Ups and Social Hour
Alumni are always welcome at regular MAPH Social Hour. In addition, the program organizes informal quarterly alumni gatherings in Chicago. If you are interested in hosting an alumni event in your city, please contact us. We are always happy to help work on logistics when it comes to putting alumni in contact with one another.
Alumni Weekend MAPH Reunion
Each year MAPH invites alumni to attend a reception to celebrate the graduation of another class. Look for announcements about upcoming alumni weekend events including our Colloquium Magazine launch party. You can see a retrospective of past alumni events held here
on the Humanities Division's Alumni Weekend website.
Alumni Weekend 2015 will take place on June 4-7. Keep an eye on this page for details about the 2015 alumni reunion!
The number of successful MAPH writers continues to grow. From fiction to collections of poetry, from blogs to critically acclaimed graphic novels, MAPHers are all over the literary sphere. Please see our MAPH Writers Page
to see what alumni have been writing.
If you have published something recently please let us know. For alumni looking for a place to submit a piece of writing, MAPH has recently founded Colloquium. Colloquium brings attention to the excellent, wide-ranging work produced by students, alumni and friends of MAPH. The journal showcases critical and academic work, fiction, poetry, visual art, video interviews, and other forms. And don't forget Contrary! In 2003, several MAPH alumni founded the online literary journal Contrary, whose editors welcome work from MAPH alumni as well as writers across the globe. In 2010, Contrary was named on the Writer's Digest list of the top 50 online literary journals.